Tuesday 28 April 2015

She made an Awesome Trifle But .......

My mother in law , Iris, was a great lady.
If we needed a comforting roast beef dinner with all the fixins she was your girl.
She tried really really hard to serve us something different occasionally.
My memories of her "quick" quiche will stay with me forever.

"Its great , Susan," I hear her say, " you just throw everything in a bowl . Pour it in a pan and bake."
Now by pouring everything in a bowl she meant --- milk, eggs, cheese, and  Bisquik.
It was the most disgusting quiche I have ever eaten and yes we ate it.

At Christmas she made a terrific trifle with a wee (dram) of assistance from my father in law , Arthur,

So when she offered me her recipe for Pumpkin Muffins
I was a wee bit resistant.
Well with full apologies to her it has become my most loved recipe for muffins /loaf.

1 and a half cups of flour
1 cup white sugar
1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
one half teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teasppoons of ground ginger

one half cup veg oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree

Mix together.
Plop into muffin cups and bake at 350 approx. 20 to 25 mins
Alternately plop into loaf pan and bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour

Of course its even better fresh out of the oven slathered in butter



Now here is the best part you can change up your fruit puree with mashed banana, course apple sauce, soaked bran cereal (1cup cereal in 1 cup milk -- leave for about half an hour and drain) or 1 cup prepared oatmeal, Change your spices if you want -- add  or take away. 

Other additions -- chopped nuts, chopped candied ginger for the pumpkin,  Chocolate chips for the banana. Raisins or craisins for the cereal. Grated orange zest and craisins for the oatmeal.


It really is a recipe for the keeper list.
Let us know if you try it out....



ciao fornow
susan

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, Sue. Iain looks a lot like his dad. You know I love pumpkin so I'll try this, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone should be as happy as mom and dad are in the picture! Thanks for sharing it Susan. And the pumpkin loaf is awesome

    ReplyDelete