Tuesday 4 October 2016

Vegan Tofu Coconut Curry

A fast and easy vegan curry for a week night meal. I always start by toasting the chickpeas so they are a little crunchy but you don't have to. Infact, if you skip the roasting and add chickpeas straight from the can this recipe takes even less time.


Start by adding extra firm tofu, chickpeas and spices (curry powder, turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, chili flakes, s&p) to a large pan with some oil and cook for 5-7 minutes. I never measure my spices... I throw them in to taste but usually I am heaviest on turmeric as I like that metallic flavour it has. Weird, I know.


Then you add one can of shaken coconut milk and half a small can (like 2 tablespoons) of tomato paste. Let it simmer for a few minutes and the add chopped garlic. I used 3-5 large cloves but I'm pretty much made of garlic. The flavour cooks out a lot but it's still obviously garlicy so add whatever amount you would feel comfortable with.


I also roasted the cauliflower to give it a little extra flavour before I added it to the curry. About 10 minutes at 400C. You can skip this step to save time, as well, just by chopping the cauliflower florets pretty small and letting it simmer in the curry (lid on) for 10 or so minutes.



Serve with basmati rice or naan. It thickens up nicely and you can control how much sauce is left by cooking with the lid on or off.


I have't been much into meat lately...and by that I mean I have gone back to my glory days as a vegetarian. I was meatless for about 15 years before I got married. It has given me some motivation to find new and exciting meatless dishes. This one was a real winner. There was obviously no meat in it but the tofu soaks up so much curry flavour you can't really tell what is is :P 

And for $2.79 worth of tofu we had two dinner portions and 3 meals left over for lunches...can't beat the meatless savings.


1 comment:

  1. This is even good for lunch, one, two, even three days later :)

    ReplyDelete